15 June 2008

Father's Day..............pfffffffffffffft



Ain't Father's Day a hell of a thing. I am still trying to figure it out. This was probably one of the nicer/easier Father's Days I've had. I had two sons that were miles away from home. The two left at home stated at dinner last night, when their mother asked what they were going to do for me for Father's Day, their responses (almost in unison) was, "stay the hell away from him". The day started off strange enough, because #2 son (who was in TN for the Bonnaroo Musical Festival) called me at 5:30AM. He thought he was being cute...he knows I get up pretty early anyway, so he was being sort of safe, too. Son #1 (birth placement) called some time after lunch...exactly when, I'm not sure because I was sweating my ass off in 95 degree weather planting rose bushes for d'wife ( the real bread-winning dad). He was still at the lake...probaly trying to sober up. Sons #3 and #4 did pretty much stay away from the old "asshole" for most of the day.

Normally on a Father's Day, I am either signing off on a restaurant check or, I am busting my ass making a meal (which I sort of enjoy, though). In my life, I have had a 1 year reprieve from the various rigors of Father's Day. 1982, my father had passed away (died) the month before, and my first son wouldn't be here for another 8 months. Just an 'aside', for the diatribe I am typing. Our sons have never had a grandfather..nada, none, no grandpa...ever. If there is one thing I wish I could have given my sons, it is a grandfather...sometimes, just as important as a father...not quite, but almost. D'wife's father had passed away over a year before I met her. Finally recognized as a casualty of war...yes, the other stupid assed war...Vietnam. He succombed to lukeamia after serving two tours and being exposed to Agent Orange.
(the spelling sucks...live with it)

On to more pleasant subjects...It has been requested to blog about my sons. I do not have the typing fortitude to achieve this in one sitting. Therefore, I'll try to give an overview of my favorite clowns (heroes).

In the picture,that I think got uploaded, from left to right, it is #2, #1, #4, #3. If you don't remember, from previous post, #3 and #4 are twins...yep, they really are. This picture is from Father's Day 2007. I think. Ah hell...sometime last summer. Any way...#1 is the "Inkman" he has numerous tattoos and he is proud of the fact that his first one was applied at Venice Beach, California. A huge ass tat on his back that says "MADE IN AMERICA"...yes, all caps about 3 inches tall. And how the hell does he know his mom and I weren't in Canada or Mexico, when he was "made". Hell, he was an oops anyway. He was our first, our "I'll fight your ass to decide how he is going to be raised" child. Oh yeah, lots of those discussions. He is now 25 and bartends and has a girlfriend and is contemplating trying to overcome all the obstacles he caused, to get back into college.

Son #2 (the s.o.b. that called at 5:30 this morning) is what we lovingly call..."if we'd had a blonde ditzy daughter, it would be him" son. He has a heart as huge as an ocean sunset. He was a state ranked wrestler in high school. He works with special needs kids that are both physically and mentally "challenged"...where the fuck did he come from? He too has a girlfriend, that also works with special needs kids...a pattern in progress? He turns 22 this month. He was the one that first got stuck with me as Mr Mom since birth. Poor bugger. He too is trying to get back into college.

Son #3 is one half of a set of twins. His younger brother is younger by 8 minutes, and he uses that fact ...a lot. He is the brooding artist. The semi-gentle giant. An outstanding artist with pencil sketching. His nickname (given by me) is Bubba...no way could I have four sons in Oklahoma and not have a Bubba. He will be 16 next month.

Son #4...our talking encyclopedia. Yes, I think he has a photographic memory. The worst thing about that is he WILL NOT shut up. After numerous "son, STFU's"...I have resorted to loving 'taps' on the head. Still doesn't work, but I feel better. We once gave him the book "Guinness Book of World Records"...yep...heard about it for MONTHS afterwards. We have learned.

That is the bird's eye view of 'wok-spring'. It is an ever evolving mess. But, dammit, it is MY mess. I am proud, ashamed, flustered, tired, and most of all...loved. No matter how bad any of us are at showing it, we know we love each other. Even if dad is an old fart and an asshole...and even if all four sons will answer to "butthead"...we love each other. I can't ask for more. Well, I could ask for more, but hell folks...this is pretty damned good.

As an after thought, I thought I should say that my sons have been my reason for living and going forward for the last 25+ years. They have been my biggest heartbreak and my greatest joy. They have been my angst and cause of immense pain. But they have also been my shining light and my solace in desperate times. So, y'all have an excellent father's day...I'm sure d'wife has enjoyed hers. She got her damned 3 rose bushes and 8 other plants put in the ground, while watching the 'old fart' do it for her. They were purchased with Mother's Day's gift certificates...I guess that is justice.

Enjoy the moment, it is fleeting.

2 comments:

Kath said...

I LOVE the wok tribe!!!!!!!

Happy Father's day Pappa Wok - hope you enjoyed a few quiet drinks to end the day!

Love
Kath

** said...

Oh my... that last paragraph killed me. Those little woks should be very proud to have you as the daddy wok.


"They were purchased with Mother's Day's gift certificates...I guess that is justice."

I am going to go laugh my ass off.